After the wars (1939-1945) the amount of logging increased in Laippa, which resulted in the lumberjacks taking up all free places to sleep in the nearby houses and crofts. They even lived in the saunas, and it was getting crowded. In 1946 Rajala’s hut was built for the lumberjacks and the beaters could live while working in Laipanmaa area. The hut was build from sturdy logs felled from the near and was carved with a broadaxe. During that time there were no roads to or in Laipanmaa, just walking paths and sleigh roads in the winter.
In the wintertime when logging was done the hut and its bunk beds were full of workers. A special kind of discipline was followed. If someone refused to follow it, he was free to leave as soon as possible. The hut has seen many kinds of dwellers during its history – some stayed longer, some only for a while.
The hut had three parts: the hut itself, the ”sharp end” meaning the foreman’s room and the kitchen and the matron’s room. Each of these areas had their own entrance.
The matron saw that the workers were fed and the hut was kept clean. That was a hard job, as there were often 30-40 men to keep fed and all of them working hard at a physical job, which meant the food needed to be hearty and there needed to be a lot of it. The matrons also kept a little canteen at the hut, where the workers could buy a few things.
The golden era of the hut lasted about 20 years, until roads and motorized vehicles reached Laipanmaa and its lumberjacks as well.
Today, the hut can be rented for events. It is managed by the association Sahalahti-Seura ry which rents the hut for communities or associations in Pirkanmaa region.